Word Sounds / Phonemes by Teach Speech Apps helps develop the skills needed to understand the relationship between written and spoken language through counting, blending and segmenting phonemes - the smallest units of sounds that make up a word. ... Read More
Word Sounds / Phonemes by Teach Speech Apps helps develop the skills needed to understand the relationship between written and spoken language through counting, blending and segmenting phonemes - the smallest units of sounds that make up a word. This app targets phonemic awareness which is the ability to hear the individual phonemes.
Teaching phonemic awareness to young children is an important part of learning to read and a strong predictor of reading success. It is imperative that children understand that words are made up of speech sounds. This helps them in spelling and decoding (sounding out) unknown words.
The English language has 26 letters in its alphabet and most experts believe there are 44 letter sounds. If there were 44 letters in our alphabet, then reading would really be simple! Each letter would have its own sound. However, since there are 44 sounds and only 26 letters, some letters have to make more than one sound.
This interactive app helps individuals learn phonemes in a fun and engaging way. Four activities include:
- Breaking up words - Segmenting
- What word? - Blending
- How many sounds? (drag and drop)
- Identify the number of sounds with the number of letters and syllables provided
Teach Speech Apps encourages learning side-by-side with an engaged adult.
- Develops reading, spelling, listening and language skills
- Enriches vocabulary
- Professional photos for individuals of all ages and learning levels
- Multi-sensory learning - combining seeing and hearing feedback
- Reinforcement sounds that can be turned on/off in settings
- Customize user experience with options found in settings
- Aligned with the Common Core Standards
- No ads
- No in-app purchases
Teach Speech Apps does not collect personal information. To learn more, visit : http://www.teachspeechapps.com/privacy-policy.html
Email Teach Speech Apps with questions or feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
Credit and a special thank you to Anne Kelly for providing the voice for the phonemes.
Find us on
Facebook: Teach Speech Apps, LLC
Twitter: @teachspeechapps Collapse
All app prices are listed in USD. This price was last verified in the US App Store 29 minutes ago and is subject to change.